Thursday, February 23, 2006

My Poor Baby

Clarence the Super-Machine is very ill (yes, that's really what I called my computer). My poor baby. I was quickly checking the WD yesterday morning before I got stuck into studying and it was running really slowly. Then it switched itself off, and when I switched it back on, I got an error message saying some file or other was corrupt.

I have a Collect & Return policy with Dell, so I thought it'd just be a case of calling up and arranging for them to come get it to fix it. Noooooooo! I spent the next four hours on and off the phone, running this test and that diagnostic. It was 12.30pm before the technician decided that, yes, it was irreparably damaged and they'd have to replace the hard drive. Finally! So after wasting a precious four hours of my study day, I arranged for them to come pick up Clarence on Monday. So I had to call up my boss and book a last minute holiday, which has the added advantage of giving me a chance to catch up on the studying I missed yesterday. Although I hate using my holidays for study.

I'm trying to remember if I had anything important saved on my hard drive that I'd be gutted to lose. I think most, if not all, of my photos are saved on yahoo, so that's ok. My music could be a pain. It's all on my iPod, but I don't know if you can transfer music from iPod to iTunes, or if it's just the other way round. I don't relish the thought of copying my CD collection again, and I'd lose all of my downloads. I think my CV and covering letter are saved on disk somewhere. It's just a case of finding them. Other than that, it's just little bits and pieces that I'm sad to lose, but I can live without.

Feel better Clarence. :(

3 comments:

Annika said...

Poor Clarence! I wish him a speedy recovery.

You will be able to transfer from your iPod to iTunes but you will need special software to do it. I think you can download it. I do not have any idea why I know this, as I have no iPod.

ickUl said...

Jojojojo och aye the moo!

I says nuzzoo him better. The Grr say that might make him soggy, though, an that spose to be bad for compootoos.

Likes bloggoo! Has blogoo account an can comment!

Dogeared said...

Poor Clarence!

I hope he's all mended soon. I should really do back ups of my stuff now I havea CD burner and a pile of blank CDs - I'd HATE to lose my photos, as my recent ones are not on CDs like my old ones (which I put on CD in Jessops)- I take the photos and then transfer them to Sydney my laptop and usually wipe most of them off my memory cards.

I'll add it to my list of things to do...