Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Things stressing me out:

  • My Exams - They're four weeks away and I'm so far from prepared that it's not even funny. When I sit down to study I just can't concentrate. I have a million other things on my mind that I need to stop distracting me, on top of the general stuff people do to distract themselves from studying (you have to make yourself a cup of tea, the living room needs to be tidied right now, the filing that you've put off for months suddenly becomes of the utmost importance!).


  • My Work - My work is pissing me off so much right now. I'm not happy and I don't know what to do.


  • My Cardboard Boxes - this is such a stupid little thing that it barely warrants being commented on, but even the little things are stressing me out. When I moved in, I had loads of cardboard boxes that needed to be put in the rubbish. I've been having discussions with the council about getting them to come pick it up, but they'll charge me £50 to do it! No way! We have a recycling bin, but it only gets emptied every few weeks and it only fits one third of the boxes. It was supposed to get picked up yesterday, but was left because it was "contaminated" ie had a bit of sellotape left on it. I've arranged for them to come back, but it still leaves two thirds of the boxes. They've already been sitting there for a month and they're likely to be sitting there for longer and I'm worried about annoying my neighbours. I need a car to move them myself, which I obviously don't have, so I'm left to the mercy of the council recycling people, who are totally annoying.

    See? Really trivial.


  • Other flat stuff - My TV is still not working and the thought of having to deal with my estate agent again makes me anxious. So I keep putting it off, which just makes me more stressed I need to get an engineer out because I think it may be a problem with the TV, but I've decided to leave it till after my exams. But I feel like I should call the landlord now to let him know what I'm going to do because if it turns out it was something the landlord could have fixed, I plan to bill him for it (they've already had his people out twice, so it's not like I didn't give them a chance to fix it).


  • And the perennial favourite, homesickness. Again. This time triggered by the Scotland vs England six nations game that my friends went to together and had a blast at, texting me and sending me pictures. I just really wished I was there.


I know that most of these things are really trivial and logically, I can't understand why I'm getting so worked up. But together, it's a bit overwhelming and I just feel a bit stuck. I'm sorry about this. I just needed to vent a bit, I guess. Although I'm not sure I feel any better for it.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Sometimes the trivial stuff can be really stressful because you just know that some cardboard boxes should not be causing you this much trouble in life, you know?

And homesickness is never trivial. I hope you feel better soon.

Meghan said...

Little things start to bother me when I have something important that needs to be addressed and I don't want to do it. Like, I have to do my taxes, but I don't want to... so I start to look around at all the little things that need to be done (or that are bothering me), and I get frusterated and overwhelmed.

It sounds like the big thing for you is your exams. Try (I know it's not easy) to brush off the small bothers for now... and focus on studying. OR, fuck it all, get out of your place for a bit, and go do something FUN that has nothing to do with any of your responsibilities/worries, big or small!

Also, if it helps, I'm homesick for Scotland, too... and I've never even been. [hug]