Thursday, September 21, 2006

Golly Gosh, And All That Bally Hoo!

How introducing us to guns is supposed to help us bond as a company, I have no idea, but whatever. It actually turned out to be a relatively amusing day, a day out of the office at least. Although I'm not sure I'd go again.

But it turns out I'm a bit of a natural with a gun. At least, I started out that way. We went round five stands, each with a different way of releasing the clay. Some rolled down a hill, some flew up into the air towards you, some flew up into the air away from you, etc. I got 9out of 10 on the first two stands, had a bit of a slip on the third and only got 6 out of 10, then got back on form for the fourth stand and got 8 out of 10. Unfortunately, I completely blew my score on the last stand and only got 3 out of 10! In the end, I was only 5 behind the person who won the prize for top gun, so if I'd only kept up my standard, I could have won. Never mind, I can't be too bitter when the guy who won had been in the South African Army for two years.

I did ok on the archery too, getting 42 out of 50 on that one. And my team won the prize for biggest overall score! Woooo! We got a shot glass each. Shot! Geddit?! ;)

Now I have a very sore shoulder where the butt of the gun kept banging against it. Those things have a massive kick! Although I'm just pleased I stayed standing. I'd watched an episode of West Wing the night before where Toby went clay shooting, and the force of the gun knocked him on his back. I had mental images all day of that happening to me.

I missed out on the dinner that night because I was off the the theatre to see The Last Five Years. It finishes this week and my friend wanted to see it after I raved about it, so I went with her. Even better, second time round!

6 comments:

Mindi Scott said...

Well, that sounds like a pretty good time!

I don't think I've ever shot a real gun before. I mean, I've done the ones at carnivals and I used to play a lot of Duck Hunt - a Nintento game with a plastic gun - when I was 10. I do wonder if I'd be any good at it...

Dogeared said...

Go you with the natural talent! And second place to a former South African Army guy sounds pretty damn good to me...

And I know the scene of TWW that you mention! Always makes me smile :-)

Amanda said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I shot my brother-in-law's gun once, and I think I hit the target once. As in, one of those body pages...and it wasn't even moving!

Crystal said...

The Last Five Years TWICE!!! I hate you!

(Not really, but I do.)

Danielle said...

Not to self: don't get on the wrong side of Eileen when she's armed. That sounds really impressive.

CosmicAvatar said...

Well done!

I'll call you when I need to do that bank job...