Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Fortunate Fool?

I have either just been a good samaritan or been taken for a fool. It would depend who you're talking to. My mum, for instance, would say I was being kind, but my dad would get exasperated with me for being so gullible.

I was walking home from the tube station tonight when I came up on this young guy, maybe late teens, talking to a couple in the street. I was listening to my iPod so couldn't hear what was being said, but it was clear the boy was upset. The couple turned to walk away, and as I got closer, the boy motioned for my attention. He asked me if I knew where the nearest Salvation Army was and I replied I didn't. It was now that I noticed he was crying. He turned to walk away, but I asked him what was wrong. He had quite a thick accent, so I couldn't make out everything he said, but the gist was that he'd lost his wallet and the police said there was nothing they could do. I said I was really sorry and he walked away.

That would probably have been the end of it, but he was walking in my direction. As I kept my distance from him walking in front, I saw him stop a couple more people to ask for the Sally Ann and get more and more agitated. As I caught up with him, I couldn't take it anymore. I offered him £5 to get a train or bus or whatever he needed to get home. He wasn't going to take it, but I insisted. He wanted to send it back to me, so I was going to give him a business card (I may be a fool, but I'm not about to give a stranger my home address!). Unfortunately, I didn't have any of my own handy and only had a colleague's, so I scribbled out his details (name, phone number, email, etc) so that it only had the address left and gave it to him.

Now I know he could very well have been a con artist, but you know what? I don't care! If it was the real deal, hopefully he'll get home without too much bother and I feel good for having helped someone out. If it was a con, I'm out £5. It's not exactly going to bankrupt me. I feel bad about giving out a colleague's business card to a stranger (I hope I managed to scribble out his details ok), but that's about it.

10 comments:

Lorelei said...

I think you did the right thing, and I don't think it was a con. He didn't even ask anyone for money. (But then again, I may just be a gullible, naive fool myself.)

I'm glad to know people like you, and to call you my friend.

Amanda said...

I don't think it was a con, either. You are entitled to the good feeling for helping a stranger. Just wait for that thank you to come in the mail!

Mindi Scott said...

Just yesterday, Dwayne gave $2 to a stranger who asked for it! I always say that he's a sucker; he says that somehow his kindness will be paid back to him.

(Not that I'm totally cold-hearted. I just don't generally carry cash. When people ask, I truly have none with me to give.)

I think it's very good that you didn't give your home address. Even though I'm sure it wasn't a con, it's still better to be safe, safe, safe!

You did a nice thing. :-)

Anonymous said...

If it made you feel like you did a good thing, then that's good.

I tend to get asked a fair bit at Exeter, by people who "just need a £1 to get home". They're nearly always male, late teens-early 20s, and looking a bit rough or dishevelled. They rarely seem as upset or agitated as your person did, and so I've become suspicious and wary that they really do need it to get home, ratehr than for cigarettes (or drugs) which is sad.

It doesn't help that you do tend to fairly often see travellers scouring the bus station platform for discarded cigarette butts, to put together to make their own cigarettes. Then they get the bus and stop at the race course outside Exeter, where I think there must be a load of caravans or something they live in.

I'm sure you scribbled out the details OK, and after all, you would have given your own card if you'd had one. Good for you for trying to help someone.

Callie (is quicker to post anonymously at work)

CosmicAvatar said...

You're a good, kind-hearted person. I really hope he was genuine - he certainly sounds more like it than your average stinger.

Amy said...

You're good people.

If it makes you feel better, I don't think someone trying to scam you would have worked that hard at it. You probably made his day a lot better.

Laurie said...

You did the right thing. I don't think it was a scam, anyway.

Your dad is like my mom.

And I'm jealous that you have a mom who would tell you that you were being kind!

Meghan said...

My dad yelled at me once for giving $5 to a homeless man on the side of the freeway at an exit. But, dude... the guy had one leg!!

Anyway... you did right by your heart. What else can you do?

Simon said...

Yeah, I think it was the right thing to do too. Good on you!

jenn said...

He didn't ding on my con-metre. And I was married to one (once upon a not so wonderful time) - so I would know.