Monday, June 05, 2006

Rule of Thumb

It's strange how you take not being in pain for granted. For example, if you get a mouth ulcer which stings whenever you drink or eat or talk or whatever, you constantly think "I wish I didn't have this ulcer". But when you don't have an ulcer, you don't go around thinking "I'm so glad I don't have an ulcer". Or at least, you might, but it's not a constant thought. You just take it for granted that your mouth isn't in pain. Well, I do anyway.

The latest example of this is my thumb. I staved it at the weekend and it now hurts. I was sitting on the floor and, in my excitement to see Andy with his shirt off (photos forthcoming!), I managed to bend my thumb backwards while trying to stand up. It was sore at the time, but the pain went away that night, so I thought it was ok. But when I woke up the next morning, it was throbbing. The throbbing has gone away, but it aches when I try to move it which, considering it's my thumb, is all the time! It hurts to grip anything and it's surprising how often you have to bend your thumb into funny positions to do stuff. Goddamn opposability!

4 comments:

CosmicAvatar said...

in my excitement to see Andy with his shirt off

This just sounds so wrong out of context. *schnigger*

Know what you mean about the pain and thumbs and whatnot. Poor thumb!

Amanda said...

I know! It's like you don't know what a body part is really for until you hurt it and can't use it anymore.

Simon said...

Goodness me.

Hope your thumb recovers its vital opposability soon!

Meghan said...

It's amazing how pain in a finger can be overwhelming.

I feel you... I got a bloody cardbord cut the other day! Ouch!