Monday, May 08, 2006

Am I a Total Geek?

Before you rush to answer this generally, I'm talking about a specific example!

So, you may or may not know that I've started taking driving lessons. I've only had two so far, and I think they're going ok. I definitely felt a lot more relaxed during the second one, but I made quite a lot of mistakes. It's hard to know if I'm making the normal amount of mistakes for someone at my level or if I'm just absolutely terrible at driving! And I can't get the measure of my instructor at all, so his reactions are no help.

So anyway, in order to help me, I'm making up a driving cheatsheet, with really basic instructions, in the hope that it'll help me learn quicker. So far, I have:


Getting In Car

• seat – steering – seatbelt
• mirrors

Prepare

• clutch – 1st gear
• move hand to handbrake
• find the bite
• pump the gas
• check road

Starting

• release handbrake – pull clutch up slowly – press gas

Stopping

• press brake
• press clutch fully down
• change to 1st gear
• handbrake on

Once Parked

• handbrake on
• gear into neutral
• indicator off
• feet off pedals


So am I just the biggest geek and/or dunce in the world, or is this not an entirely crazy method of learning? :P

5 comments:

jenn said...

I [heart] lists and cheat sheets! I have done up a whole bunch for work that say things like:

CTRL SH DW
Click dude
Look for credits
Put check mark
F10


And you know what, it really is a little dude you click. It is a box with a little guy in it (you can tell by the shoulders).

xoxo

Mindi Scott said...

Hey, if it helps you out, I think it is all good! :-)

CosmicAvatar said...

I've done that plenty of times before for various work assignments.

Although "gas"? Accelerator, dahlink!

Eileen said...

I know, I know, it's my instructor that calls it gas.

Amanda said...

It still boggles my mind that one could wait this long to learn how to drive. What a culture difference.

It's all about practice.