Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Easter Weekend

I hope everyone had a lovely Easter weekend. Mine's been good and bad, but mostly good.

Saturday
Babysitting did not go well. It didn't go any worse than I'd expected, but I'd hoped it would be better. Lewis is still very clingy and isn't very comfortable with people he doesn't know. He's fine with me when his parents are around, but not on my own, which is understandable since he hasn't seen me since Christmas. So I ended up having to get my mum round to help put him to bed because he was screaming for an hour solid and nothing I could do would help. He was having such a paddy, that I was worried he would hurt himself. My mum was round for about an hour, feeding him and letting him fall over to sleep, then went home and all was well again. I played with Kieran and put him to bed and Lewis stayed sleeping. So I got help for one hour out of the six I babysitted, but I still felt like a bit of an idiot. Not to worry. I'm obviously just not a natural with kids.

Sunday
My uncle and little cousin came to my parents to stay over for Easter. I've documented my family issues with my uncle already, but I can't be bothered searching for any specific entries about it. Suffice it to say that my family has been walking on a knife edge with our relationship with him in order to stay in touch with my little cousin. Well he turned up on Saturday afternoon spoiling for a fight. He was taking everything the wrong way and causing tension left, right and centre. While I was babysitting, it all kicked off between him and my dad and it was all my dad could do to stop my mum from telling him he wasn't welcome back again. I didn't know anything about this until Sunday though, and you probably wouldn't have realised to look at them. We actually had a very nice day having Easter egg hunts and decorating competitions with the kids, but everybody was going out of their way to avoid my uncle. They left probably earlier than they would have and you could feel the relief in the air and they way evryone relaxed after they'd gone. I don't know what's going to happen in the future. Our family holidays have been marred for the past three years by tensions caused by trying to keep my little cousin in the family. While we stll want to be involved with her, I can honestly say that I wouldn't be upset to never see my uncle again. This may sound harsh, but I can't really help it. I used to hate him, so this is actually a step up!

Anyway! It was actually quite a nice Easter, despite the way it sounds. Kieran, Lewis and Caitlin were full of fun and I was laughing at them all day.

Monday
This was the sister's day of fun. My sisters and I got the train through to Glasgow at lunchtime and went on a pub crawl. The day started off excellently when we got a drink at the bar in the train station. My sister got asked for ID because the barman thought she was too young to buy alcohol. My oldest sister. Who is 33 years old on Sunday! We thought this was hilarious! The poor barman seemed so embarassed afterwards! This sparked a bit of a worry between my other sister and I because we didn't have any ID in case we were asked. We weren't of course. We must just look like old hags! ;)

Anyway, we had an excellent day. We got a bit tired round about 5pm, just after we had something to eat. We were just talking about maybe going home early, then we got a second wind. We ended up getting the last train home at 11.40pm! I love my sisters so much. I really am beginning to think that my family is slightly wierd. We're very close and we get on amazingly. I use dto think that was normal and families that were dysfunctional, or even just not that close were the uncommon ones. But I'm starting to see that families who are close are the uncommon ones. I feel very lucky.


The rest of the week has been strange. I had earache over the weekend and because of this, I've been biting my gums. I think I maybe gave myself an infection or something because I feel totally out of sorts. Also, I've been unable to sleep at night because of the pain in my mouth and so have slept for at least 3 or 4 hours during the day for the past couple of days, which of course, has done nothing to regulate my sleep at night.

But if nothing else, it's just been nice to be home and chill out for a while. I may have moaned for a fair bit of this entry, but I have really enjoyed being home.

4 comments:

CosmicAvatar said...

I am most impressed that you put up with a screaming Lewis for an hour. Good thing I wasn't doing the babysitting, heh. And I totally envy your older sister.

Glad most of it was good!

Dogeared said...

It's not that you're a bad babysitter at all. I don't believe that.

Glad you had a good weekend apart from that!

Simon said...

Good times, good times.

Be better soon! *sends lots of wellness vibes*

Danielle said...

I'm obviously just not a natural with kids.

Having read numerous posts by mothers having huge problems on bad days with their children, I really don't think this is the right assessment. You worked out what the problem was and got him what he needed, which, in this case was someone he was familliar with. That's called being good with children. Seriously.