Monday, April 10, 2006

Who Needs Sleep?

I really took advantage of not having to get up early to study this weekend. I slept till midday on Saturday, much to the annoyance of my friend (but we'll not get into that because my rant could end up about 50 pages long!) and then, slightly stupidly, till 2.30pm on Sunday. This is what happens when I don't set an alarm. I could sleep for Britain in the Olypmics!

So, partly thanks to my marathon lie in and partly thanks to me finishing my book (I always end up reading to the wee hours when I get to the end of a book, because I don't want to put it down), I didn't get to sleep till after 3am. And I was up again at 6.45am. I'm really starting to wish I hadn't given up coffee for Lent right about now.

I went to see Rent on Saturday, which I loved. The flow of the story was slightly patchy in the places, and I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it so much if I hadn't known the soundtrack inside out (I promise I'll get that back to you within the next couple of weeks Crystal! I suck!). But as it is, I did, so I loved it. It was really moving and I had tears streaming down my face at more than one point through the film. I can't wait to get it on DVD.

I noticed something strange when I was looking for a screening near me. It's hardly showing in any cinemas! I had to go all the way into the central London to see it, and even then, I only found it in one cinema. I was really surprised about that because I'd heard it had done well in the US. I guess it doesn't translate well to Britain. I don't think the stage show took off in the West End either.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I liked Rent a fair bit, though I imagine it is far superior as a live show.

I think I was one of the handful of people who saw it here in The States. Sadly, it went out of theatres pretty quickly.