Sunday, April 02, 2006

O-kaaaaay!

I think my foray into the Harry Potter fandom is coming to a close. They're all nuts! Amy, you were right!

The Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet joined forces for a really funny April Fool's gag today. They pretended that:
1) the webmasters of the two sites (who people have been shipping like crazy - Memerson!) got married in Edinburgh last week;
2) the two sites have joined forces to make one big super site, The Leaky Mug.

It's so obviously a joke and I've been giggling over it all day. But most of the readers are completely losing it! Three or four news entries have been posted today, with a total of about 4000-5000 comments attached! At least 2/3rds of the comments are people going crazy about the joke (not that I've read them all - you just need to scan them)! Either they really believe it's true (come on!), or they're going nuts because they think it's a bad joke and it's dragging on too long. And I mean nuts! People are crying over it! They want their Mugglenet/Leaky Cauldron back! It's only been a day people!

I am so out of there!


And I promise I'll really try to curb my HP posting from now on. My obsession has reached massive proportions and it's even boring me now! But this was just too insane to not post about.

8 comments:

Amy said...

Hee! Oh, man.

I usually go to Mugglenet for news. I think I like Leaky better, but for some reason, the site doesn't work properly for me, and I'm not motivated enough to figure out why.

My problem is that I really really want to talk about Harry Potter. But just scanning the comments makes my eyes and soul hurt. I mean, there are "fans" out there who want Ron to die, who write awful fanfic, and people who over-criticize every picture of every new actor. (OMG, no, her hair is not right. The movie will suck.) I don't want to know these things! And only a very marginal percentage have any sense of humor at all!

But if you talk about Harry Potter, that makes me happy. Because you're okay. We are not like them, Eileen.

Yonners said...

I too share your pain. I work at a geek store and the few geek things I get are anything Joss or Harry Potter; however, when I try to talk to some people about it they just make me mental by so not getting major themes (not minor little ones, the glaringly obvious ones) or saying really silly things which just eventually makes me come up with something else I have to be doing. Though my sister (not Mgan, other) and I have a five dollar bet on whether or not Snape is evil (I say no). She's great to talk to, same with that guy Mgan married, though not Mgan. She just purses her lips when Harry Potter comes up.

Dogeared said...

Argh! I might go check it out, just for a giggle.

Since last week I've been cheating on the WD with an Alias site and it's not bad.

Eileen said...

The LeakyMug stuff has been archived now, so I don't think you can get access to the comments anymore. Which is a shame because I went to bed before the argument and resignation bit started, and I would have loved to see some of the comments for that!

Simon said...

Good grief. I'm glad the WD hasn't been affected by that kind of madness.

CosmicAvatar said...

*snort*

Lorelei said...

I like reading about your Harry Potter obsession a lot more than reading about MyDeathSpace. So it's all good.

Jess said...

What Amy said! (Except I don't really go looking for HP news, just let it trickle back to me by reading posts from my friends.) Some fandoms are scarier than others. I really do enjoy reading a good analysis, but the signal-to-noise ratio on most HP sites is just too poor.