Saturday, March 11, 2006

Starlight Express

Yesterday was my ex-flatmate's birthday and, in true Yvonne style, we didn't celebrate it in the usual few-drinks-in-a-bar way. No, Yvonne decided that for her 26th birthday, she wanted to go to a.......ROLLER DISCO! That's right. And not the inline skates. The old-fashioned two by two skates!

It was brilliant! We'd gone to her house for a few drinks before, so by the time we actually got to the club, we were quite merry. Some moreso than others because that was the only way they'd go roller skating! But the skating was great. Hilarious at first, with everybody trying to find their balance and remember how to do it. I haven't roller skated for about 15 years, but I'm a pretty good ice-skater, so I thought I'd be fine. Not a chance! Same basic principles, completely different in practice! By the time I left, I'd just about mastered the skating, but stopping was still a bit of an issue. Although, I was able to go up to the bar at one point and carry four drinks back! Whoo!

I would really have liked to stay longer, but I had to leave around midnight in order to get the last tube home, otherwise a taxi would have cost £60. My first taste of the pain of living so far out. Not to worry. Any other time, and I've had stayed out and got the bus that takes hours, but I really needed to study today, so I was trying to be sensible.

But it was a good night. Something different!

4 comments:

Dogeared said...

That sounds fun! I never got the hang of skating when I was little (only tried the 2x2 rollers once), and can't ice skate, so I'd have been completely crap, but still!

Meghan said...

Oh man!! You went to a Roller Disco??

I'm so jealous.

Jess said...

Hee! That sounds like fun--and no broken bones, so you must have it down pretty well.

CosmicAvatar said...

They still have Roller Discos these days?! Oh, lord. Glad you had a good time...